Grilled Veggie Sandwich
with Smoked Paprika and Turmeric
This vegan grilled sandwich is piled high with summer’s fresh produce – grilled eggplant, red pepper and onion soaked in a smoky, earthy marinade of lemon, smoked paprika and turmeric.
For the Marinade
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® ground black pepper
For the Vegetables
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
For the Sandwiches
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half
- 1 cup hummus
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade or combine in a blender and puree until emulsified.
- Slice the eggplant and onion into 1⁄4-inch slices, roughly 12 slices of eggplant and 4 to 6 slices of onion. Cut the sides off the red pepper and discard the top and the seeds. Lay cut vegetables on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper (for easy clean up).
- Brush all the vegetables with the marinade, flip and brush again. Cover and let sit for at least 2 hours before grilling. Reserve the remaining marinade for brushing while grilling.
- Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-low heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 325 degrees.
- Place the marinated vegetables on the grill (or on a grill pan) and cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, brushing with the marinade every minute or so. Continue to cook and flip vegetables until lightly charred, 6 to 10 minutes depending on heat of grill.
- Remove vegetables from grill. Slice the ciabatta rolls in half. Brush the cut sides with olive oil and rub with the garlic. Place cut side down and grill for 30 to 60 seconds, just until the bun is crisp and lightly browning.
- Assemble the sandwiches with a leaf of lettuce, 2 to 3 slices of eggplant, one slice of roasted red pepper and 1 slice of onion. Spread 1⁄4 cup of hummus on the top bun and place on the sandwich.
Fair Trade practices help spread goodness around the world. In Sri Lanka, where we source our Fair Trade organic turmeric, farmers benefit from the positive impact of Fair Trade practices. It means a stable economic base, as well as improved living and working conditions.
Grilled Vegan Coconut Curry Tofu Skewers
A vegan main dish that’s full on flavor, these grilled tofu skewers get their bright color and fragrant spice from a curry-spiced coconut milk marinade.
Grilled Peaches with Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream
Don’t exclude dessert from the grilling goodness! Lightly charred, grilled peaches dressed in a maple simple syrup make a uniquely summertime topping for vegan cinnamon ice cream.
How to Grill Vegetables
Whether a simple side or a colorful main dish, good grilled vegetables are a balance of timing, technique and seasoning. Learn how to achieve spectacular flavor and texture with these two simple methods for how to grill vegetables.