Grilled Vegan Coconut Curry
A vegan main dish that’s full on flavor, these grilled tofu skewers get their bright color and fragrant spice from a curry-spiced coconut milk marinade. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds for extra crunch and umami.
For the Marinade
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons Frontier® curry powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Frontier® garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® sea salt
For the Skewers
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed of excess moisture
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons roasted Frontier® sesame seeds, to serve
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, to serve
- Olive oil, for grill
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut the tofu into roughly 24 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the tofu and gently fold the tofu and marinade together until tofu is covered. Cover, refrigerate and let sit for at least two hours before grilling.
- Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 350 degrees.
- Cut the red onion in half and cut each half into 8 similar-sized chunks.
- Thread the skewers, alternating 2 to 3 layers of onion and tofu until you have 4 pieces of tofu and five pieces of onion. Continue with remaining tofu and onion.
- Place some olive oil on a towel and carefully rub the grates with the oil so the tofu doesn’t stick. Place the skewers on the grill over the lowest heat and cook, turning skewers every 1 to 2 minutes and brushing with excess curry marinade. Cook until the tofu is golden and the onions are starting to char, 8 to 12 minutes depending on the grill heat.
- Remove skewers from the grill and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro before serving.
Frontier Curry Powder
Through years of experience sourcing all the very best individual curry spices from around the world, we've acquired the expertise to blend a superior curry powder; one of our original blends, the popularity of which has never waned.
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Smoked Paprika and Turmeric
This vegan grilled sandwich is piled high with summer’s fresh produce.
Grilled Peaches with Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream
Don’t exclude dessert from the grilling goodness! Lightly charred, grilled peaches dressed in a maple simple syrup make a uniquely summertime topping for vegan cinnamon ice cream.
How to Grill Vegetables
Whether a simple side or a colorful main dish, good grilled vegetables are a balance of timing, technique and seasoning. Learn how to achieve spectacular flavor and texture with these two simple methods for how to grill vegetables.